Senior Director of Government Affairs
Position: Senior Director of Government Affairs
Reports to: President & CEO
Position: Full Time (Exempt)
About the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce (BCC) is among the largest and most influential business advocacy organizations in New York, having spent the last hundred years developing and promoting policies that drive economic development and advance its members interests. The BCC is the voice of Brooklyn’s business community, offering the resources, programs, tools and direct support businesses need to continue creating jobs and opportunities in their communities.
The Senior Direct of Government Affairs is responsible for government affairs, legislation, and strategic policy development.
- Government Affairs:
- Work with our lobbyists to track relevant business legislation and develop policy recommendations.
- Draft written and oral testimony and statements of support/opposition to local and state legislation.
- Along with the chairs of the Government Affairs Committee (GAC) and the President & CEO, organize meetings, events, and other activities with businesses, elected officials, and policy makers to foster relationships and an understanding of key issues.
- Schedule events with elected officials and policy makers in coordination with the Events Department.
- In partnership with our State & Federal lobbyists, the GAC, and the President & CEO, organize annual state and federal legislative visits in Albany & Washington DC.
- Produce our annual state and local legislative agenda in collaboration with members, GAC and our lobbyists.
- Closely monitor local political news, blogs, and social media to keep a finger on the pulse of political sentiment and key issues and develop strategic policy recommendations.
- Foster and maintain relationships with partners in the business community, advocates for business, policy makers, and legislators to understand policy priorities and influence legislation and public dialogue.
- Present a well-reasoned and thoughtful narrative around the Brooklyn small business community to promote policies and positions.
- Draft Op-Eds and other relevant media releases related to key policy objectives priorities.
- Any other special projects as requested by the President & CEO.
- A Bachelor’s Degree with preference for a concentration in Public Policy, Urban Planning, Business or a related field.
- Master’s degree in public administration or public policy preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience working in public policy and/or politics.
- Proven ability to work across political parties to achieve policy goals.
- Passion for working with diverse communities and viewpoints to achieve consensus and reach a common goal.
- Extremely strong written and verbal communications skills. Highly skilled writer/editor.
- Highly organized, with excellent project management skills. Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, and consistently deliver high quality results
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office products.
- A love for “all things” Brooklyn and our small businesses.
* Please submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line “Senior Director of Government Affairs.”