Restaurant & Hospitality Industry Specialist
The Brooklyn Alliance, the not-for-profit economic development affiliate of the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce, established the Small Business Rapid Recovery Initiative (SBRRI) as part of its response to the COVID pandemic and the shutdown of the economy. The crisis has had a crippling impact on Brooklyn’s business community, and the economic landscape in Brooklyn will be dramatically altered as a result. The SBRRI is designed to support small business recovery concurrent with the phased business reopening schedule dictated by New York State. An important part of the SBBRI is emphasis on dividing the borough into five geographic sectors that will be managed locally in partnership with a local business improvement district or merchant association. In addition, the restaurant and hospitality industries have faced a disproportionate impact from the shutdown, and our strategy is to provide targeted support to these industries as part of the SBRRI.
The SBRRI is a comprehensive, multi-pronged approach to assisting small businesses across the borough to restart after the prolonged closures due to the COVID crisis. Industries such as restaurants will resume in a manner that could result in long-term reduced economic activity. Central to the success of the SBRRI is a Restaurant & Hospitality Industry Specialist, responsible for engaging these business sectors in specific geographic areas of the borough. The Restaurant & Hospitality Industry Specialist serves as liaison to affected businesses and utilizes a comprehensive scope of resources to aid restaurants and hospitality establishments navigate through recovery.
The Restaurant & Hospitality Industry Specialist will engage in the following scope of activities:
- Work collaboratively with the Brooklyn Alliance SBRRI Business Recovery Specialist to focus resources in accelerating the recovery of restaurant and hospitality establishments.
- Develop specific expertise in the health, safety and facility guidelines presently in place for operating during COVID.
- Interpret and provide information to businesses on changing regulations on outdoor dining, such as capacity, sidewalk and curb seating.
- Track and be informed with policies impacting the industry at all levels of government, be familiar and current with laws impacting the industry.
- Interact with restaurant and hospitality industry leaders, and monitor industry news to stay current on industry trends and issues.
- Provide workforce development services to industry workers in tandem with the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce Good Help employment program.
- Conduct outreach and data collection to quantify the impact on the industry.
- Mapping of the affected businesses to provide visual impact reports.
- Conduct digital field assessments and surveys onsite at designated places of business.
- Develop individualized service support plans for affected business, considering available City, State and Federal programs, along with existing Brooklyn Chamber services including micro-lending and finance programs, M/WBE certification and procurement programs.
- Assist affected businesses with completing relevant applications necessary for securing resources made available by government.
- Connect businesses to technical assistance resources such as contactless payment and digital menus.
- Leveraging of Bring Back Brooklyn Fund grants and arranging for facility deep cleanings for businesses that reopen.
- Leveraging the utilization of the Brooklyn APP, the Brooklyn Chamber’s digital platform to serve as a tool for marketing, promotion and community interfacing.
- Special projects as directed by the President and CEO of the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce.
College degree and relevant experience in the restaurant and/or hospitality sector(s). A background in business or marketing and bilingual Spanish or Mandarin highly desired. Brooklyn residency or strong familiarity with Brooklyn neighborhoods preferred.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Full benefits package.
- The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce is an EEO employer.
- Please email your resume and cover letter including the following subject line: Industry Specialist to [email protected]
- Note: only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.