Executive Director, Brooklyn Alliance Capital
Position: Executive Director, Brooklyn Alliance Capital
Reports to: President & CEO, Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
Position: Full Time (Exempt)
About the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce (BCC) is among the largest and most influential business advocacy organizations in New York, having spent the last 103 years developing and promoting policies that drive economic development and advance its members interests. The BCC provides resources, programs, tools, and direct support to businesses so that they can continue to expand and grow and serves as the economic engine for the entire borough.
About the Brooklyn Alliance Capital
Founded in 2017, Brooklyn Alliance Capital (BAC) is the Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) lending affiliate of the BCC, offering micro loans to small businesses that typically do not qualify for commercial bank loans. The BAC provides financing and education to minority and immigrant entrepreneurs, and low-income small business owners to increase economic opportunity and create jobs for the community.
The Executive Director of the BAC is a newly created position for the purposes of guiding the growth and expansion of the CDFI. For most of its short history, the BAC lacked both the capital and the capacity to significantly scale up its microlending activities. COVID changed all that, and the BAC is now poised to significantly expand, providing capital and programs designed to assist small businesses throughout Brooklyn with reopening and recovery. Of particular interest for the BAC is ensuring that Black and other minority-owned businesses have access to flexible capital. The Executive Director will provide both operational management, overseeing the implementation of a suite of new loan products, as well as lead the growth and expansion of the organization over the next several years. Initially, a team of four financial services staff will report directly to the Executive Director.
Specific Responsibilities and Desired Qualifications
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following professional qualifications:
- At least 8 years of professional business finance experience, either in the private sector or in the non-profit / community development sector;
- Experience in managing lending or financial literacy programs, with a general understanding of community development finance tools and processes, including experience with acquisition and line of credit financing;
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of the micro and small business lending field;
- At least 4 years of senior level management experience, ideally including some experience with a community development financial institution, economic or community development organization;
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial aptitude to successfully manage organizational growth;
- Track record of raising investment capital and operating support;
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate effectively and form partnerships with both private and public sector financing entities;
- Demonstrated record of successful financial management, including P&L responsibilities;
- Outstanding skills in oral and written communication;
- Demonstrated strong strategic planning and financial analytical skills;
- Graduate degree in business, finance or other related field is preferred. At least 8 years of professional experience in banking or other community lending may substitute for an advanced degree;
- Fluency in a language other than English preferred but not required;
- Knowledge of Brooklyn and it’s communities, including its small business sectors, helpful.
Full benefits package, an EEO employer.
Please send a resume accompanied by a letter of interest to [email protected]