Controller, Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
Position: Controller, Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer, Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
Position: Full-Time (Exempt)
The Controller of the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce is a newly created position to focus
primarily on government contract finances and reporting, and in managing finances of the
Brooklyn Alliance Capital.
About the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce (BCC) is among the largest and most influential business
advocacy organizations in New York, having spent the last 103 years developing and promoting
policies that drive economic development and advance its members interests. The BCC provides
resources, programs, tools, and direct support to businesses so that they can continue to expand
and grow and serves as the economic engine for the entire borough. The Brooklyn Alliance is the
economic and workforce development arm of the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce. Founded in
1967, the Brooklyn Alliance provides borough-wide programming and serves diverse populations
with business resources and opportunities, including Brooklyn Business Solutions, a suite of
services offered in partnership with the NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS).
About the Brooklyn Alliance Capital
Founded in 2017, Brooklyn Alliance Capital (BAC) is the Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) lending affiliate of the BCC, offering micro loans to small businesses that typically do not qualify for commercial bank loans. The BAC provides financing and education to minority and immigrant entrepreneurs, and low-income small business owners to increase economic opportunity and create jobs for the community. For most of its brief history, the BAC lacked both the capital and the capacity to significantly scale up its microlending activities, though it has significantly expanded, providing capital and programs designed to assist small businesses throughout Brooklyn with reopening and recovery.
Together, the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce, Brooklyn Alliance, and Brooklyn Alliance Capital promote economic and business development throughout the borough.
The Controller will be responsible for the following duties:
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinate all audit activity.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of financial status.
- Assist leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the CFO in engaging the Board’s Audit/Finance Committee around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the program vice presidents; continuously collaborate with program vice presidents to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
- Manage the day-to-day accounting and loan operations of the Brooklyn Alliance Capital.
- Manage the accuracy and day-to-day activities of accounts payable, cash disbursement, and payroll.
- Manage all government grants and contracts including monthly reporting, budget modifications and other compliance matters.
- Monthly general ledger review and reconciliation including inter-company reconciliations.
- Prepare monthly Profit and Loss and cash flow report for the three related organizations.
- Oversee bi-weekly payroll processing and recording of necessary journal entries.
- Interface with outside audit firms, insurance brokers, credit card companies and vendors.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Other duties as necessary.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a BA; CPA and/or MBA preferred
Proficient in MS Excel
Knowledge of Blackbaud Financial Edge accounting software
Please email your resume and cover letter with the subject line CONTROLLER to [email protected]
Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.