Neighborhood Development Specialist, Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
Position: Neighborhood Development Specialist
Reports to: Senior Director, Neighborhood Economic Development
Position: Full-Time (Exempt)
About the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce (BCC) is among the largest and most influential business advocacy
organizations in New York, having spent the last hundred years developing and promoting policies that
drive economic development and advance its members interests. The BCC is the voice of Brooklyn’s
business community, offering the resources, programs, tools, and direct support businesses need to
continue creating jobs and opportunities in their communities.
The Brooklyn Alliance (BA) is the 501(c)(3) not-for-profit economic development affiliate of the BCC. The
BA manages several key business and economic development programs for the BCC, including the NYC
Business Solutions Center, the Good Help small business staffing program, our international trade
partnerships, industry-specific initiatives for the manufacturing and tourism sectors, and the newly
launched Small Business Rapid Recovery Initiative (SBRRI) to help small businesses re-open and navigate
the COVID landscape. Founded in 2017, Brooklyn Alliance Capital (BAC) is the Community Development
Financial Institution (CDFI) lending affiliate of the BCC.
The Neighborhood Development Specialist is to support commercial revitalization efforts overseen by the
Neighborhood Development team, assist with in-person events, and provide support on
development of marketing and communications materials. This position will require frequent
availability on weekends and evenings, and approximately half the time in the field.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
The Neighborhood Development Specialist will be required to:
- Assist with relationship / coalition building with local stakeholders (such as localbusinesses, anchor institutions, community organizations and community boards, electedofficials, and City municipal service providers) across the following Brooklyn neighborhoods: Bay Ridge, Bushwick, Cobble Hill, and Sheepshead Bay
- Provide general information on the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce and its services, and assist as needed at Brooklyn Chamber events
- Assist with the Avenue NYC Community District Needs Assessment (CDNA), including creating a database of commercial properties along Avenue U and in Canarsie, and conducting two vacancy surveys per year
- Develop ideas for neighborhood marketing and promotion, and identify key business needs in each community
- Help apply for, organize, and run community events in collaboration with local organizations and community boards
- Occasional attendance at local BID / merchant association & community board meetings
Bilingual ability a must. An effective Specialist will also demonstrate competence with
relationship building, communications, independent work, and be well organized and detail
oriented. Proficiency with social media platforms and WordPress a plus.
- College degree and 1-2 year work experience in policy, government, urban planning, economics, marketing, or related field
- Proficiency with MS Excel and database management
- Brooklyn residency or strong familiarity with Brooklyn neighborhoods
Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Full benefits package – BCC is an EEO employer.
- Please email your resume and cover letter with the subject line “Neighborhood Development Specialist” to: [email protected]
Kindly note: only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.